If you’re new to the world of raves and festivals, there are many different events to discover. One of those events is Burning Man, which draws over 70,000 people from all over the world every year. Today, we will tell you everything you should know about Burning Man.
What Is Burning Man?
First things, Burning Man is not a festival. It’s a community and a cultural movement that hosts events around the world. The Burning Man even in particular happens in Nevada, USA, and they build a temporary city called Black Rock for the occasion in The Playa desert.
The event takes place at the end of summer and it’s 8 days of celebration that includes Labor Day weekend. It’s called “Burning Man” because, at the end of the festivities, they burn a large wooden figure, referred to as “the Man.”
Burning Man dates to 1991 and Black Rock City is known as an experiment in temporary community. Since there’s no phone service, people fully disconnect from everything, and they camp out in the desert to focus on art, self-expression, and self-reliance.
What Are the 10 Principles of Burning Man?
Burning Man is guided by 10 Principles, which were defined by Larry Harvey, co-owner of the event. They serve as guidelines for everyone who attends the event, and these principles perfectly reflect the ethos of this community.
The 10 Principles are:
- Radical inclusion. Everyone is welcome.
- Gifting. Gift-giving for the sake of it is highly encouraged.
- Decommodification. There are no ads, sponsorships, or transactions involved in the event. They only sell ice.
- Radical self-reliance. Everyone is encouraged to discover, practice, and rely on their inner resources.
- Radical self-expression. Self-expression is considered a gift you give to others, so everyone’s rights and freedoms are respected.
- Communal effort. Cooperation and collaboration are encouraged.
- Civic responsibility. Civil society is highly valued, so everyone is expected to be responsible and law-abiding.
- Leave no trace. Respect the environment, clean up after yourself, and leave the environment better than you found it.
- Participation. Personal participation is encouraged through work, play, and actions that open your heart up.
- Immediacy. Seek immediate experiences to overcome barriers between you and your inner self.
What to Bring to Burning Man?
Think of Burning Man as a camping trip to the desert. That means you must bring everything you need to survive out there for the entirety of the event. And remember, gift-giving and sharing are encouraged, so bring even more than you think you’ll need.
Including a tent, sleeping bags, food, water, etc. You should also bring a bicycle to move around,but make sure to get a lock because bike theft is not uncommon. You can also bring any extras you want, including alcohol, costumes, toys, and more.
In short, Burning Man is a community where you can be fully yourself and connect with yourself and other people. Thousands flock to Black Rock City every year and everyone agrees that it’s an experience you should have at least once.
Attending Burning Man is all about expressing yourself through unique fashion choices. If you’re looking for the perfect festival outfits, be sure to check out our Festival Outfits collection!